Acts 4:1-31 - Kevin Vroom
- The Religious Leaders: Offended by the Gospel (v1-7)
- The Apostles: The Indomitable Power of the Spirit (v7-21)
- The Church: Praying for Boldness (v23-31)
- Remembering God's sovereignty (v24b-30)
- Recognising God's sovereign plan (v25-28)
- Asking for power to serve (v29-30)
Colossians 1-2 - Tom Martin
John 14:25-31 - Pieter Vroom
Background (earlier in the chapter): Jesus reassures disciples that they do not need to worry about him leaving them – He is going to prepare a place for them and He will send another counsellor: the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit will teach them (25f)
- He will give them his peace (27) – foretold in the OT, realised by his death and resurrection
- His “going away” is no need for worry – it is all part of God’s plan (28-31)
15th March 2020 - Wayne O'Leary
- Compassion is a touch - v41a
- Compassion is an act of the will - v41b
- Compassion always points to God - v44
The results of Christ's compassion on the leper (on us):
- His (our) past was dealt with
- His (our) present is blessed
- His (our) future is secure
1 Timothy 3:1-7 & Titus 1:5-9 - Tim Smylie
- The role of elders: leading, but not ruling the church.
- in Doctrine, Discipline, and Direction
- The profile of an elder: an example of Christian maturity.
- Ambitious - for God's Kingdom, not for himself
- Self-disciplined and faithful - in all areas of life.
- Competent - to teach and to manage
- Friendly and compassionate
- The elder's confidence: God's wisdom and power
Engaging our emotions - part 2 - Tim Smylie
This is a long term project!
- Plan to cultivate your emotional garden
- Love for God, our neighbour, and what is good
- Hope in God, and our eternal destiny
- Hatred of evil
- Destructive anger
- Fear and worry about the future
- Disciplines to get us there
- Wise up to the little things - sleep, diet, and exercise.
- Learn to look upwards - using prayer, Scripture, and song.
- Commit to look outwards
Romans 14:1-15:13 - Steve Hope
- Accept one another without quarrelling - (14:1-13a)
- God accepts us - (v3)
- God is their master, not you - (v4-9)
- God is their judge, and yours too - (v10-12)
- Build one another up without offending - (v14:13b-23)
- Offending deliberately is not acting in love - (v14-16)
- The Kingdom of God is more important than disputable matters - (v17-21)
- Bear with one another without selfishness - (15:1-13)
- Christ is our example - (v3-7)
- Unity is the endgame - (v8-12)
Romans 4:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
John 17v6-26 - Pieter Vroom
- Prayer for the disciples
- Reasons for the prayer - (v6-11)
- Content: safety, joy, sanctification - (v12-19)
- Prayer for the church - (v20-26)
- Unity so the world knows that the Father sent Jesus
- That we may see Jesus' glory and have fellowship with him.
- That we may know the Father and share in his love.
Psalm 90 - Pieter Vroom
- From: Lord, you have been our dwelling-place throughout all generations (v1)
- to: May the favour of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us - yes, establish the work of our hands (v17)
- God is eternal ó we are mortal (vv2-6)
- Our sin and God’s wrath (vv7-11) ð Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom (v12)
- Wisdom leads to dependence on God’s compassion and love with all it’s blessings (vv13-16)
- Then God can establish the work of our hands (v17).
Be strong in the Lord - Ephesians 6:10-20 - Pieter Vroom
- The Source of our Strength - the Lord - (cf 3:16-21)
- Struggle/ conflict is part of our lives as Christians
- Spiritual conflict requires spiritual measures
- What protects us is:
- The Truth (of the Gospel)
- Righteousness (being in the right relationship with God)
- Readiness to proclaim the Gospel
- The Word of God
The message of Easter - Acts 2:22-41 - Tim Smylie
1. Jesus is God' Son - (v22)
2. Jesus' death was part of God's plan - (v23)
3. Jesus is God's King - the Lord of history - (vv24-36)
4. Jesus is our only hope for forgiveness and new life - (vv37-41)