- Tim Smylie
- What is anger? - "I'm against that"
- What's good about God's anger? - it flows from love
- What's the problem with my anger (and yours)? -"My kingdom come, my will be done"
- Getting anger right
- Own it!
- Examine it
- Slow down
- Respond constructively, with:-
- And sometimes - constructive conflict
Jeremiah 32 - Tim Smylie
- True faith invests in what God has promised - (vv1-15).
- Faith investments often look ridiculous - (vv16-25)
- God's Word builds our faith - (vv26-44)
- It confirms God's power - (vv26-27)
- It explains the world we see - (vv28-35)
- It shows the heart of God - (vv36-44)
Jeremiah 31:27-40 - Tim Smylie
- A clear personal responsibility - (vv27-30)
- A new relationship with God - (vv31-40)
- A people:
- Transformed from the inside out - (vv33-34a)
- Transformed by God's forgiveness -(v34b)
- Secure and clean forever - (vv35-40)
- A people:
1 Timothy 3:1-7 & Titus 1:5-9 - Tim Smylie
- The role of elders: leading, but not ruling the church.
- in Doctrine, Discipline, and Direction
- The profile of an elder: an example of Christian maturity.
- Ambitious - for God's Kingdom, not for himself
- Self-disciplined and faithful - in all areas of life.
- Competent - to teach and to manage
- Friendly and compassionate
- The elder's confidence: God's wisdom and power
Jeremiah 30:1 - 31:1 - Tim Smylie
- Only God can provide salvation (30:1-7)
- God sets us free to serve him (30:8-11)
- God heals our unhealable wound (30:12-17a)
- God restores our dignity through one of our own (30:17b-22)
- True peace comes on the other side of wrath (30:23-31:1)
Engaging our emotions - part 2 - Tim Smylie
This is a long term project!
- Plan to cultivate your emotional garden
- Love for God, our neighbour, and what is good
- Hope in God, and our eternal destiny
- Hatred of evil
- Destructive anger
- Fear and worry about the future
- Disciplines to get us there
- Wise up to the little things - sleep, diet, and exercise.
- Learn to look upwards - using prayer, Scripture, and song.
- Commit to look outwards
Jeremiah 29:1-23 - Tim Smylie
- Wherever God has put you, work and pray for good in that situation - (vv1-9)
- Seek the God who will work all things for his people's good - (vv10-14)
- Don't be distracted by promises of a quick fix - (vv15-23)
Jeremiah 23:9-40 Tim Smylie
Do they agree with God about:
- His holiness - sin is serious (vv9-15)
- His wrath - peace is not guaranteed (vv16-22)
- His power - he is inescapable and his Word is effective (vv23-32)
- His goodness - the truth is not burdensome (vv33-40)
Romans 14:1-15:13 - Steve Hope
- Accept one another without quarrelling - (14:1-13a)
- God accepts us - (v3)
- God is their master, not you - (v4-9)
- God is their judge, and yours too - (v10-12)
- Build one another up without offending - (v14:13b-23)
- Offending deliberately is not acting in love - (v14-16)
- The Kingdom of God is more important than disputable matters - (v17-21)
- Bear with one another without selfishness - (15:1-13)
- Christ is our example - (v3-7)
- Unity is the endgame - (v8-12)
Romans 4:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Engaging our emotions - part 1
- Take the challenge seriously
- Listen to your emotions
- Evaluate your emotions
- What do they tell me about what I love?
- What do they tell me about what I believe?
- "Emotions reflect what we believe and reveal our assumptions about how the world works" (Matthew Elliot)
- What does the bible say?
- Don't be bullied by your emotions
- "I need this"
- "This is all or nothing
- "I need to act right now"
John 17v6-26 - Pieter Vroom
- Prayer for the disciples
- Reasons for the prayer - (v6-11)
- Content: safety, joy, sanctification - (v12-19)
- Prayer for the church - (v20-26)
- Unity so the world knows that the Father sent Jesus
- That we may see Jesus' glory and have fellowship with him.
- That we may know the Father and share in his love.
Jeremiah 18 - Tim Smylie
- Clay in the potter's hands (vv1-10)
- God is sovereign- he is completely in control - (vv5-6)
- Our response matters - God is not a tyrant - (vv7-10)
- Responding to the potter's touch - (vv11-23)
- Means responding to: His message - (vv11-17)
- ......and his messenger - (vv18-23)
- Not the only thing
- Mirrors of the heart
Jeremiah 9:12-10:16 - Tim Smylie
- Understands the folly of forsaking God's Word - (9:12-22)
- Understands the value of knowing God - (9:23-10:16)
- He is the only one to fear - (10:1-7)
- He is the uncreated creator and ruler of all - (10:8-13)
- He is the only true and lasting treasure - (10:14-16)
- Emotions are good
- Our emotions are derived from God's emotions
- Jesus felt: Joy, Love, Compassion, Frustration, Anger, Distress
- Emotions are complicated
- They're like a paint mixer that never shuts off
- They're connected to our bodies
- They're disordered by sin
Jeremiah 1 - Tim Smylie
- A message for then, and now - (vv1-3)
- God prepares his messenger - (vv4-5)
- God provides a powerful message - (vv6-10)
- God makes promises to his messenger - (vv11-19)
- God will do what he said - (vv11-12)
- Judgement is coming - (vv13-16)
- Stand up and you'll stand firm - (vv17-19)